How to clean cat litter mat – Does it look too gross when your cat spreads litter all around the litter box? And later that litter starts spreading all around the house. No doubt, cats at home are clean and tidy, but due to their furry skin, litter gets stuck in them and is carried wherever they go.
Cat litter mats come up as the most rated choice to opt for in such a situation.
Just purchasing a cat litter mat and placing it near the litter box is not enough! You should have knowledge related to cleaning cat litter mats as well. There are a few ways that you can follow for cleaning your cat’s litter mat. Do not worry; it is not a tough job to do! But make sure you do it the right way so that you do not have to repeat the process more often.
You might be interested in checking out the 10 Amazing Mats for Cat Litter.
10 Easy methods on how to clean cat litter mat
Here are some of the easiest methods to clean pet litter mats. I hope you are going to like these techniques.
Method 1: The machine washing Technique
Hold Back! Quickly go and check out if the guide leaflet provided with your cat litter mat allows it to be machine washed. If no, then skip this technique and proceed to the next one. But if it’s a YES, then cleaning your cat litter mat is going to be an effortless task!
Steps on how to clean cat litter mat with machine washing technique:
- Before you put your mat inside the washing machine, make sure to get rid of clumping clay, crystal, and fine particles.
- It can be done by simply shaking the mat. You can ensure that by hanging the mat outdoors for a while.
- After that, drop a little amount of low-concentration detergent into the machine and put the mat inside.
- Let the machine cleanse it properly. When it’s all done, let the cat litter mat dry.
- It is usually recommended to sundry the mat and then place it somewhere at your home to let all the moisture be evaporated.
TIP: For quicker drying, you can use your hairdryer to make all the moisture be escaped from the mat’s surface before you let your cat use it again.
Method 2: The vacuum cleaning technique
Whenever you notice, the litter mat has caught enough waste’ switch on your vacuum cleaner and give the mat a good massage!
This is the swiftest litter mat cleaning technique, but it will not eliminate any bad odors produced by the cat’s mess.
Steps on how to clean cat litter mat with vacuum cleaning technique:
- The best thing is; it will take away the stubborn cat fur residue, silica gel crystals, walnut shells, and pine pellets that get stuck into the mat.
- I will not suggest you ONLY vacuum clean the litter mat.
- It will be better to use an appropriate cleaning spray on the mat as well after all the litter has been extracted.
- You can also use a steam cleaner for pets to clean the cat litter mats.
TIP: If you are using a PVC cat litter mat, DO NOT use any sprays over it unless allowed. Sometimes plastic reacts with such cleansing sprays and may consequently make the mat toxic for your feline friend.
Method 3: The soap and rinse cleaning technique
As you have been cleaning all other mats of your house, you can adapt this technique to clean the cat litter mat. It is not harmful but may affect the mat’s durability if you continue doing it for a long. It will be better if the cleansing soap is chemical-free so that it won’t give off a weird smell after you dry it and place it back in the litter box.
Steps on how to clean cat litter mat with soap and rinse cleaning technique:
- To clean the cat litter mat using this technique, pick up the mat, and shake it. After this, litter particles will shred off.
- Now place it back on a smooth floor and wet it using water. Form up a saturated soap water solution. Dip a cleaning loofah into the solution and clean the entire mat.
- Repeat the procedure until it’s assured that every part of the mat has been cleaned.
- Do not overdo it. It will not do any good to the mat but instead result in spoiling the mat’s appearance.
- After this, let some water pass through the mat again and again. When you can see that the water flowing out does not have any more bubbles, it means that the mat has been freed from the soapy solution.
- Now it is time to let the mat dry. Place the mat in the open air, away from the sunlight, to let it dry for 6-8 hours.
- Do not try this mat cleaning method frequently. You can either do it once a week or even once a month!
- For other days, simply shaking and removing the litter will work best too!
TIP: It is best to wear gloves while scrubbing the soapy loofah onto the mat’s surface.
Conclusion on how to clean cat litter mat
Now that you know all the various methods on how to clean cat litter mat, make sure your pet friend does not get annoyed by using the dirty mat. Also, it’s better to follow the instructions listed on the leaflet before deciding to clean the mat using any of the techniques mentioned above.
Tags: Cleaning Blackhole Cat Litter Mat, Cleaning Easyology Cat Litter Mat